Sunday, March 26, 2006

Is the Word all we need?

When the Holy Spirit first fell on me I was at home taking care of my two children. My infant was in his fisherprice swing and 2 yo was napping.

When she woke I carried her on my hip and walked my house in circles praying in another language. Both kids were sick and needed a lot of attention and all I wanted to do was fall down on my face and worship Him. I wanted to soak up the Word and read it all! I couldn't read fast enough, still can't. Many times I'll be feeding Lorenzo and have the bible propped up beside me, there's just not the time to sit for hours and study like I'd like.

I've always remembered the stories of my Grandma Grace who would prop the bible up and read as she ironed. Before I always found that curious, what was so interesting in the Word that you can't put it down to iron!

Now I know! The Word is alive. When I read I feel this, He speaks to me. I feel Him in me and around me. It's like reading about the most exciting adventure! But better because the adventure continues within me!

All my life I've read the Word, off and on. Most times I couldn't understand it. Didn't know where to start. I'd read and my mind would drift off and I'd have to read the same verus again and again. Distracted. I was so distracted.

I've been thinking about this word a lot lately. Distraction. Since the Holy Spirit fell on me, I've felt a strong pull to the Word of God. I feel the Spirit leading me back to the Word. It's like a gentle whisper in my ear saying the Word is the only book I need. Everything else is a distraction. If I'll just have faith in Him he'll open my eyes and teach me through His word.

I have the book The Purpose Driven Life and I'm curious to read it now that my eyes are opened but something keeps pulling me back to the Word. I don't want to sound arrogant but really, why do I need a book called The Purpose Driven Life?

I already know my purpose!!!! I don't need a book to tell me that!!! It's so simple, I don't have to waste any time on that! We have one purpose, or really two. To worship Him and to love our neighbor as our ourself!!!

I don't think TPDL is evil, I just think it's way too complicated. To me it's more simple, and I wonder if TPDL is just another distraction that actually keeps us from the real truth.

For now I'm going to read the Word and immerse myself in it's truths. I don't think I can go wrong with that and I'm trusting Him that He will teach me, guide me and keep me humble.

My heartfelt prayer; Oh Lord help me. I beg you to never let me forget what my purpose is! When the scales fell off my eyes I so clearly knew what my purpose was. You revealed it so clearly and freshly to me. You showed me that it's so simple. It's all about You, worshipping You. Going back to You over and over. Oh Lord don't let the deceiver, deceive and confuse me ever again. We get distracted so easily and so quickly Lord! Our minds say to us that it can't be so simple and we try and complicate it. But You have showed me the truth! Thank you Lord!!!!!! Now help me Lord, keep me humble and may it always be all about You and nothing else!

2 comments:

Kristy Dykes said...

What a beautiful post, Jennifer! It blessed me this morning. I love the spiritual truths that are being birthed in your Spirit. By sharing them on your blog, they are blessing me, and others. Thank you.

About The Purpose Driven Life, didn't you read it before your experience? Some months back? Your dad gave it to you.

I know what you mean. Right now, you just want to soak up the Word, and that's how it should be. Yes, your grandmother, Grace Roberts, my mother, had this same experience as you, and she would prop up the Bible on the ironing board, and read, read, read, and then memorize the Word.

Love you, Sweetie. Love, Mom

Jennifer said...

Dad, Your comment brought tears to my eyes. Thank you SO much for being faithful in training and teaching me the truth my whole life. I am so blessed to have you and mom as my parents!

It is so amazing to me to now know you and mom in Christ. I get so excited when I think about the future, when we are in heaven with Him. I can't wait until we are done with this world and we're all together with Him and we can worship Him with no distractions!

I want to be side by side you and mom as we worship and praise Him! Can you imagine how wonderful that would be?