Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A shoebox full of letters

Tonight I came upon a shoebox full of forgotten letters and cards, most of them from my mother. What a blessing to stumble across these letters! When I first moved to Puerto Rico, I didn't have a computer so our correspondence came through the mail.

I spent an hour pouring over my mother's words. Her voice jumping out at me. Tears of joy from laughing, remember the good times. Tears of pain knowing she'll soon be gone. In many ways she's already gone, no more letters, no more cards.

Soon I'll have to post some of her words...

Tomorrow the kids and I leave for Florida. We're headed for Tampa for now. I'm hoping to soon head up to Jacksonville. I'm trying to do what's best for my mom, and having two young children running around might not be best for her confusion. I want desperately to be nearby so I bought one way tickets and will at least be only a car ride away from her. I will be there until the end waiting... It's been hard being away and only seeing her through her blog. I long to lay beside her on the bed and hold her hand.

Claudia broke her arm last Thursday. I thank God it wasn't worse. She's going to mend and be just fine! Although I cried all the way home from the ER, realizing I should be calling my mom and telling her all about it. I thought to myself, "well I guess this is how it's going to be from now on, good or bad I'll never be able to share things again with my mother." You know, sometimes a person just wants their momma!

I'm not sure how often I'll be blogging, my sister doesn't have internet so it will be at least a few weeks...

God bless you all out there. Don't forget to tell your loved ones how much you love and appreciate them, don't wait! In a blink it could all be gone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Jennifer. I hope you are able to have some good time with your mother.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, you will always be grateful for this "waiting" time with your mother. May God bless you and your children as your travel home. Savor each second. I know you will.

Mary Connealy said...

Such a precious thing to find. God bless you, Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

As a momma to two daughters, and as a writer friend to your mother, I've silently prayed for you both. I can see that you are such a joy to your mom. I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but as I imagine the love and closeness I have with my own daughters, I want you to know that I and many, many people are praying with you and standing with you right now. Your momma's words may not be able to be written down right now, but they are etched on your lives and no one can ever take that away.

Suzie Eller

Diann Hunt said...

Jennifer, your mother will never be gone--her legacy will long live on through you and your sister and your children! I can see her through your writing in so many ways.

Praying for you and your family! You are all such an amazing blessing. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your journey.