Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Earthly vs. Heavenly Treasures

My computer has been down over the last couple of days.

John 14:1-4
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

What will your room or “mansion” look like?

This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot. Sunday we went to a friend’s brand new multi-million dollar home. It’s still under some construction and they aren’t living in it yet, but they got their fresh water pool working and invited us to come over and swim.

Their house is just gorgeous, three stories and backs right up to the beautiful Caribbean ocean. Plenty of space, something that is rare here unless you’ve got tons of money. As I walked from room to room admiring and ohhing and ahhing, I tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a house like that and have the lifestyle they do. They have several other homes and condos and own a multi-million dollar boat and have their own helicopter. It’s a lifestyle I can’t even imagine really.

I walked out to what they call the sky lounge, an area on the roof top they’re turning into a bar and grill area. It has a breathtaking view of the ocean, I stood there tasting the sea salt on my lips and the wind whipping and pulling at my hair. As I looked out over the ocean mixed emotions came to me and I’ll admit maybe even a tiny bit of jealousy. Hey I’m only human! Lol!

But later when I got home I got to thinking how all these things are just earthy possessions that will rust and fade away, and eventually amount to nothing!! Isn’t that an amazing thought, all that hard work, a whole life’s work of sweat, blood and tears will mount up to nothing! It’s fading, passing pleasure.

I suddenly started realizing that I don’t want to be drooling or desiring after those things!!! Then I got to thinking about the room or “mansion” I will have up there! You know, I don’t want to just slip into heaven at the last minute. I want to work, to groan, to strain in this life so that I can built up heavenly treasures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it dawned on me what a waste of time envy is and I got to praying for my friends that God would bless them even more!! I pray only the best for them, may the Lord never hold back but bless them according to His will.

The Lord showed me something very valuable Sunday, these earthly things will all fade away but what we do for the Kingdom is everlasting! I want heavenly treasures; I want more than a fading, passing pleasure. I want to work hard, to keep my eyes fixed on His face. I want the fruit of the Spirit, the power of the Holy Spirit. I want His sweetness, I want His joy!!!! I want Him!! He is so sweet, so pure. His love is all I need!

My heartfelt prayer: Lord thank you for the blessing in my life, thank you Lord for pulling the scales off my eyes and revealing yourself to me. Thank you for showing me your heart, your love. I don’t desire earthy things; you have blessed me and tickled me down to my toes by showing me your mercy! All I want Lord is your mercy! How wonderful and thrilling your mercy is!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: God has shown you the eternal priority that we must live our lives by in this life. Nothing matters but Him and what we have done for Him.

Rick Warren says there are only two questions that matter in this life. They are: (1) What have you done with Jesus? (2) What have you done with what He has given you?

Those two questions cause us to focus on what really matters. It is all about Him and what we have done for Him. Everything else is wood, hay, and stubble.

Thank you for your writing. I am very proud and thankful for you love and faith. Your insights are sweet and precious.

Love, Dad

Diane Viere said...

What a wise post! Love your attitude--and your heart! We all would be better to spend more time thinking about our eternal home...than our earthly habitat! There's a great lesson in your post today...thanks for sharing.

diane