Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What ELSE does light do?

My mom commented on my last post and said:

I just love that scripture: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105.

It's one of the first (of hundreds) I learned as a child. Course we used the King James Version then. "Thy Word is a lamp..."

It's such a great visual. When our little grandsons visit, they love to go in our large, walk-in closet with flashlights. The little one, Nicholas, doesn't want the door closed. He's afraid, and wants more light than just the flashlights. It's amazing how comforting a light is in the darkness. And it guides us. They like to roll under Milton's long row of shirts and get to the back wall of the closet. Occasionally, they'll find a hanger on the floor and bring it out.

Hmmm. What are some other things a light in darkness does?

I'm getting great visual pictures right now!

In fact, they're so good, I need to turn off my computer and go have my devotions and Bible reading!

:)
Love, Mom

I'll tell you what else light does: Light DISPELS darkness. Think about that one for a moment! Let that roll around your brain and see what that one will do for you!

I read on someone's blog, sorry I can't remember who, but this person heard Ted Dekker speak and someone asked him if he was ever afraid. And he said "no." Then he was asked "well why not?" His response "Light dispels darkness."

When I read that it changed the way I think about things.

Think about LIGHT and DARKNESS. Darkness can NEVER overcome light. Light pierces and pushes away and DISPELS darkness.

A lot of things I've feared all my life suddenly vanished when I realized I carry this light from Christ inside of me and where ever I go this light dispels darkness.

1 comment:

Kristy Dykes said...

Once, I felt overcome by so much evil in the world. Drugs. Rampant, illicit sex. Violence. Things on our level. Someone close suffering through an illness or a family situation. People hurting. Etc. I thought, How can we live under the weight of all of this?

The Lord spoke to me and said, "Continue to hold up YOUR light. Light always dispels darkness."

So, I picture myself as holding a candle in a dark room. That's my part in all of this. That's my responsibility.

It gives me hope.

And you know what hope does?

It's found in Milton's favorite scripture.

Romans 15:13: "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing; that you may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."

Break it down:

Now - today he's going to help you!

Joy and peace - that's what you're going to be filled with!

Abound - you'll be overflowing with hope.

Holy Spirit - He's the one who'll do all this not YOU; you just sit back and let God work!