Thursday, August 14, 2008

37 years

37 years is a long time. Today, August 14th would have marked 37 years of marriage for my parents.

To say "would have marked" is very hard for me type. I still find it unbelievable she is gone...

Don't you?

Before my mother got really sick she sat my sister and I down and went through her jewelry. While it was incrediable difficult, I'm so glad she thought to do this with us. It means the world to me to know she wanted me to have some of her pieces.

For me, she gave her wedding ring. What an incredible honor. I wear it daily on my right hand, only taking it off at night. My dad let me take it back home with me and I'll be forever grateful.

I'll never forget after I put it on my finger and showed him, he looked at me with such pride and love shinning in his eyes and said "I'm so proud and honored for you to wear it." That meant more to me than I can ever express. I'll never forget the look of love and pride my dad had for me in that moment. I feel sure my mom was looking on in pride at him! In that moment I felt her legacy being passed on to me.

Her wedding ring that I now wear is a symbol of undying love, faithfulness, and commitment. It stands for 37 years of what I pray to be.

It is a constant reminder that love is a commitment. That marriage CAN work! 37 years ago my mother made a vow to love my dad unto death, and boy did she ever! Like wise my dad made a vow to love unto death and I've never seen a person do that like my dad did. He never left my mom or gave up on her. In a time and world where people are giving up like crazy, my dad never failed to love her or be there for her. He was her hero and he lived up to that word in every sense.

When I wear her ever familar ring, I feel like a piece of her is with me. When I soap Claudia's hair, I'm reminded she wore this ring when she soaped my hair as a child. When I make her famous meat balls, I'm reminded she wore this ring when she made meat balls for us. I think of the people this ring has touched while praying for those in need. I think of the hundreds of task she did all while wearing this ring. There's a lot of history, a lot of legacy, a lot to live for and a lot to live up too.

In a hard to describe way I feel her with me, helping me, encouraging me, cheering me on. I don't feel like the same mother or wife anymore. Everything has softened and there is a peace about me. Even those around me have commented saying there is a glow about me, something different.

I close for now saying thank you for support and prayers. I know many haved emailed me or sent cards and I want to say that it means the world and has held me up when I felt like falling down.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
You are a very special person. Special Daughter, Sister, Mother & Wife. You are very much like your Mother. She was dearly sweet.

Praying for you & your family with that storm that is over your island now.
God Bless You :)

B. J. Brooks said...

Jennifer even in death Kristy has made a tremendous difference in so many lives. She shines on in you and your sister.

"God is so Good," will forever be a phrase I associate with your mother.

And what a love story and a life to measure up to. She and your Dad have truly blessed all of us.

You will remain in my prayers.

Many Blessings
B.J. Brooks
(Robinson)

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were having dinner last night with Joe & Cathy Peterson. Cahty was telling me about how she misses your Mother and told me to check out the website. Your daily comments are very interesting. I will keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
I want to cry reading your post. I am so glad though that you are finding some peace by wearing your mom's ring.

You truly are a strong woman.

God Bless.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I am proud and thankful that you cherish the single most important tangible gift I ever gave anyone--a ring to my beloved with a vow to love and to cherish til death would separate us.

Wear it with joy and honor for your mother.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

You're the one with the gorgeous little girl, Claudia (love her name, too).

That is such a powerful thought--how your mother wore the same ring you're wearing as she went about her daily activites and her work for the Lord for 37 years. I can see how that would bring a certain peace and comfort to you.

I read a beautiful poem on death recently. No author is listed, but it goes like this:

Even for the dead I will not bind my soul to grief;
Death cannot long divide.
For is it not as though the rose that climbed my garden wall
Has blossomed on the other side?
Death doth hide,
But not divide;
Thou art but on Christ's other side!
Thou art with Christ, and Christ with me;
In Christ united still are we.


You and your family remain in my prayers.